In my last blog, I said that I would delve into the power of the media and what free media publicity can do for your business.
Many business owners don’t even think about seeking media publicity to grow their business. Some do consider it and actually do take out ads in the local paper, but I advise them against doing so for two reasons:
- It is very costly (normally in the thousands of dollars)
- Many people disregard ads as they are just that; advertisements!
With my former business, FIFO Families, I used the media to grow the business exponentially.
It was so very powerful and put my very heart centred story about families and working away parents/partners smack bang in front of my avatars (ideal customer).
Initially I was very naïve about media interviews because, as like you no doubt, I have had no formal media training nor was I a journalist. But like anything new, you learn and become more effective at it the more times you do it. So after 15 or so interviews I was getting the hang of what was expected of me and what I could say. Media exposure was hands down the biggest contributor to my businesses growth and quickly my credibility grew with my business, as did my profits.
As I said though, you’ve possibly not thought about getting into the media. But you should and here’s why:
- One media interview can put you in front of hundreds, even thousands of your avatars in one hit! Think about an article in The West Australian….a client of mine recently appeared in the business section and her phone and emails were going crazy! She acquired 15 solid new leads from the one article and how much did it cost her? Zilch! No budget busting social media ads used here! (Imagine if she appeared on The Project!!!?)
- One media interview can lead to more. The gorgeous client I referred to was soon interviewed on the radio the very afternoon that she appeared in The West Australian.
- It is the most effective way to spread the story of your business.
- You can end up right in the lap of your customers who need your services the most! So cool I tell you and so very powerful!
- Get a few media interviews a year under your belt and you can become the “go to” person in your industry. Now I know this is not for everyone, but those of who you want to become this, please use the media to spread word of your business and your expertise.
The media is a very handy tool to consider engaging when you undertake any of the following: • Launching a new product/website
- Hosting an event
- Responding to something that is “trending” in your industry
- Hosting a celebrity at one of your events
- Publish a book
- Win an award
And the list goes on and on. This is just a sample.
In summary, I hope I have you at least thinking about the media and how or where it can relate to your business. Once you start to listen to what the media are talking about, ask yourself this…”Does or can that relate to my business or my particular skill set?”
If you start to do this, I promise that you will see many potential opportunities that were never on your radar.