So for anyone who has met me before it will come as no surprise that I love everything handmade. When you catch up with me I am always wearing handmade jewellery, my beauty products are now (for the most part) from local handmade businesses, and when you step into my office it is like walking into the Cave of Wonders from Aladdin – just a treasure trove of unique handmade items.
For those who haven’t met me before and who are used to shopping in department stores or chain outlets it can come as a bit of a surprise when I start waxing lyrical about why shopping from handmade business is so amazing. So let me break it down for you! Here are my top 5 reasons why I love buying from handmade small businesses:
- You are often getting a really unique one-of-a-kind item. So many makers do limited runs of their products so you know that your artwork isn’t going to be in every house you walk into (unlike buying a print from a large Swedish company that shall remain nameless, or the one that starts with a K and rhymes with cart…).
- You are supporting the local handmade/arts scene! By doing something small like shopping handmade you are helping artists/makers to continue refining their craft and growing their portfolio.
- You can have them custom make you something so that it is perfect for you. So often I have a hard time finding something that is exactly what I want, and this is where the amazing makers scene helps me out.
- You are helping people to support themselves and their families through their craft.
- In my personal experience, handmade items are often of a higher quality than those which are mass produced (though this does change depending on where you shop).
So often we don’t ever stop to think about what our lives would truly be like if everything was mass-produced or if we didn’t have the arts in our lives. If you stop and think about it for more than a minute, you can see that pretty quickly our lives would become grey, drab, colourless, repetitive and unimaginative. A world without the arts is uninspiring, without fun, without life.
By supporting your local, handmade small businesses you are helping to keep the arts alive, which helps to keep us all from becoming robots who do everything exactly alike, in our own small way. So that’s why I love handmade small business and try and do all my shopping with them (where I can), and I hope this has helped to convince you a little too!